U.S. EPA Proposed Amendments to 40 CFR Part 60, Subpart IIII: 6.5 Things You Need to Know
Posted: November 9th, 2015Authors: Ron H.
On Friday November 6, 2015 U.S. EPA proposed specific amendments to 40 CFR Part 60, Subpart IIII – Standards of Performance for Stationary Compression Ignition (CI) Internal Combustion Engines (i.e., CI ICE NSPS). Below are 6.5 key takeaways from the proposed amendments:
1. The proposed amendments would allow manufacturers to design CI ICE such that operators can temporarily override the emissions control systems for stationary emergency CI ICE where the operation of the engine is needed to protect human life.
2. Such instances are known as “qualified emergency situations.”
3. A qualified emergency situation is one in which the condition of a CI ICE emissions controls poses a significant risk to human life; such as an emissions control condition that inhibits the performance of an engine being used to rescue a person from a life-threatening situation (like providing power to a medical facility during an earthquake, tsunami, or alien invasion).
4. During such instances the CI ICE must operate in compliance with the applicable Tier 1 emissions standards promulgated at 40 CFR Part 89.
5. The proposed amendments would align 40 CFR Part 60, Subpart IIII with commensurate requirements included within 40 CFR Part 1039 [i.e., 40 CFR §1039.101(b)(1)(ii)] as amended August 8, 2014.
6. The onus for complying with the majority of these amended requirements falls on the manufacturer, not the owner/operator, as the manufacturer is required to provide instructions to the owner/operator pertaining to operating a CI ICE without emissions controls during qualified emergency situations. However, the owner/operator is required to submit a report to the manufacturer within 60 days of operating the CI ICE without the emissions controls.
6.5 U.S. EPA’s proposal also included amendments pertaining to CI ICE operated in remote areas of Alaska. If you’re reading this blog and live in a remote area of Alaska, please call me at (610) 933-5246 ext. 119. I’d simply like to meet you.